P.O. Box 23409,
Dar es Salaam,Tanzania.
The Open University of Tanzania was established by an Act of Parliament No. 17 of 1992. The Act became operational on 1st March, 1993 by publication of Notice No. 55 in the official gazette. The First Chancellor was officially installed in a full ceremony on 19th January, 1994. Act No.17 of 1992 has now been replaced by the Open University of Tanzania Charter, effectively from January 1st, 2007, which is in line with the University Act No.7 of 2005.
The Open University of Tanzania is the first university in the whole of the East Africa region to offer educational programs through Open and Distance Learning mode. This makes OUT peculiar from conventional residential universities. Through Open and Distance Learning, OUT allows flexible learning environment leading to protracted periods of course completion. OUT offers different academic programs which are certificates, diplomas, degrees and postgraduate courses. Educational Delivery is attained through various means of communication such as broadcasting, telecasting, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), correspondence, enhanced face to face, seminars, contact programs or the combination of any two or more of such means.
P.O. Box 2440
Zanzibar – Tanzania.
The Zanzibar University, the first University on the Isles, is a private institution sponsored by Darul Iman Charitable Association (DICA). The main campus is situated at Tunguu area, in the Central District, some 19 kilometers from Zanzibar Town. The University campus, with a total area of 69 hectares of land, is located among pleasant and quiet countryside surroundings overlooking vast expanses of deep blue waters of Indian Ocean. It is an ideal place for serious academic work and research. Public transport from Zanzibar Town will bring you to the University campus gates. Private cars are also common.
Establishment and Ownership
The Zanzibar University was founded and is owned and governed by Darul-Iman Charitable Association. It was established on the basis of the following: (i) The Constitution of Darul-Iman registered under the Society’s Act No. 6, 1995 given at Zanzibar on 2nd August, 1996. (ii) A letter of Interim Authority issued by the then Higher Education Accreditation Council bearing Ref. No. HEAC/SU of 1st May, 1998. (iii) The Certificate of Provisional Registration No. 007 of 22nd December, 1999; (iv) The Certificate of Full Registration No. 003 of 4th May, 2000; (v) The provisions of the Universities Act, 2005; and (vi) The Zanzibar University Charter, 2010 issued on 24th March, 2010 by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, H.E. Dr. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete.
After getting a letter of Interim Registration in 1998, the Zanzibar University (ZU) had tried its level best to implement all the recommendations put forward by the Technical Evaluation Committees of the Higher Education Accreditation Council of Tanzania, currently known as the Tanzania Commission for Universities. The University then received a Certificate of Provisional Registration in 1999, and a Certificate of Full Registration on 4th May, 2000.
The Zambia College of the Built Environment (ZCBE) was registered in 2012 and is accredited by the Technical Education, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Authority (TEVETA) to offer diploma programmes in the built environment. We are located at farm number 919/77, Lusaka South.
ZCBE is a private college specializing in training and research in human settlements development, with the intention of contributing to improved planning and development of Zambian settlements.
Our courses are both theoretical and practical since they are intended to bridge the skills gap between the university graduates and those with crafts qualifications.
400084, Cluj-Napoca, România
16th-19th century – Forerunners of the modern university
The 1578-1607 stage
The history of the academic higher education in Cluj is closely related to the evolution of the city on river Someș. The beginnings of local academic life go down to the 16th century. In 1578, Prince of Transylvania Ștefan Báthory requested permission from Pope Gregory XIII to establish a Jesuit college in Cluj. The following year, the pope sent to Transylvania the first mission for this purpose, which included Jesuits Ștefan Szántó (Arator), Jakob Wujek, Valentin Ladó, Luigi Odescalchi, Justius Rabbus, Matias Thomány, Wolff Schreck.
The Diploma founding the Major Jesuit College in Cluj was issued by Ștefan Báthory on May 12, 1581, in Vilna (today Vilnius in Lithuania). The founder wished this Major College to be an institution similar to established universities of the time, to include courses in grammar, philosophy, theology and rhetoric. In this college Latin, Hebrew and Greek were taught and graduates could earn the titles of Baccalaureus, Magister and Doctor. The first rector of the college was Jakub Wujek . Latin was the teaching language of the College.
In 1583, besides the Major Jesuit College, the Pontifical and Royal Seminary was created (Seminarium Pontificium ac Regium) for Catholic priests. Jesuit diplomat Antonio Possevino was sent to organize the seminary from a pedagogical and administrative point of view. For this reason Antonio Possevino can be considered the spiritual father of the Jesuit higher education in Cluj. The activity of the Major Jesuit College was carried uninterrupted, with brief hiatuses until around 1607 when the Jesuits were banned from Transylvania.
The 1698-1872 period
Since autumn 1698 the Jesuit teaching was resumed by the Jesuit Academy (mentioned in the documents of the time as Collegium Claudiopolitanum or Academia Claudiopolitana), an institution regarded as the heir of the Major Jesuit College. In the same year was reestablished the Jesuit Seminary. At Collegium Claudiopolitanum the languages of study were Latin and German (since 1751), and the subjects matters included logic, rhetoric, theology, philosophy, natural sciences, mathematics and law.
Jesuit Academic College
At the beginning of the eighteenth century, the Jesuit Order started the construction works in the west end of the Mihail Kogalniceanu Street today, an ensemble of representative buildings: The Jesuit Academic College, Jesuit Church , “Báthory-Apor” boarding school, and the noble boarding school building (today the Echinox building).
In 1753, Empress Maria Theresa raised the Collegium Claudiopolitanum to the rank of University Academic College. After the dissolution of the Jesuit Order in 1773 the University Academic College in Cluj went under the piarists. In 1780 the Academic College was structured as follows: Faculty of Philosophy – with 5 departments (logic and metaphysics, physics, mathematics, geometry (applied mathematics) and history), Faculty of Law (with the departments of canon law and criminal law, civil law and Roman law), Faculty of Medicine (a single department for anatomy, surgery and obstetrics), and the Faculty of Theology (4 departments).
In 1784, following the decision of Emperor Joseph II, the University Academic College of Cluj became the Royal Academic Lyceum (Lyceum Regium Academicum). It retained three distinct specializations – philosophy, law and medicine, while theology was moved to Alba-Iulia. During the nineteenth century, Cluj had other educational and higher education institutions, such as: the Medical-Surgical Institute, Academy of Law (founded in 1863), the Reformed College (which included law subject matters), Unitarian College (which had departments of law and theology).
The 1872-1918 period – The period when teaching at the University of Cluj was in Hungarian (University of Cluj, and after 1881 Royal Hungarian Franz Joseph University)
On October 12, 1872 Francis Joseph I, emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and King of Hungary, ratified laws XIX and XX, which sanctioned the foundation of the Hungarian Royal University in Cluj. The institution opened its doors with four faculties: Faculty of Law and State Sciences (12 departments), Faculty of Medicine (11 departments), Faculty of Philosophy, Letters and History (10 departments) and the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (7 departments). Besides the latter two faculties, a pedagogical institute was founded for prospective secondary school teachers. The first rector of the University of Cluj was Áron Berde , previously director of the Academy of Law in Cluj.
It was only on January 4, 1881 that Francis Joseph I issued the official document founding the university and accepting that it bears his name. The delay was due to the initial state of very poor infrastructure for teaching and research in Cluj. However they gradually initiated extensive construction works for the university. Until 1918, by the end of World War I were built 63 buildings for teaching activities. Among these the most important were:
The central building of the university ., built in three stages during the1893-1902 period. In neo-Renaissance architectural style and an area of 4,226 m2, it has contained both teaching spaces and rooms with ceremonial functions (e.g. Aula Magna).
The University Library Building , built between 1906-1909, after the model of the University of Basel Library (Switzerland).
The complex of buildings of the university clinics , which covered a total of 10,049 m2 of construction, completed in 1903.
Central Building of the University
University Library Building
Complex of Buildings of the University Clinics
The Hungarian university started off with a teaching staff of 40 people for the 40 departments, but until 1919 the number of departments has increased to 61 and that of teachers to 150, along with a large number of secondary teaching staff and support and administrative staff. Many teachers had outstanding scientific achievements recognized internationally. Among them were: mathematicians Lipót Fejér, Alfréd Haar and Frigyes Riesz, geographer Jenö Cholnoky, polihistorian Sámuel Brassai, archaeologist Bélá Pósta, physicists Lájos Martin and Gyula Farkas,etc.
Students enrolled here belonged to all nationalities living in Transylvania (Hungarian, Romanian, German, Hebrew, Armenian, etc.) and all religious denominations (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, Greek Catholic, Jewish). Beginning with year 1895 women were allowed to enrol in the University of Cluj. Between 1872-1918 more than 40,000 students studied at the Hungarian University of Cluj and graduation diplomas were granted for 12,000 young people. More than 2,600 of the students were Romanian, with the following personalities standing out: Iuliu Maniu (law student), Iuliu Haţieganu (Medicine), George Coşbuc (Philosophy), Vasile Meruţiu (Natural Sciences), and others.
The 1919-1940 period – The Romanian University in the interwar period (“King Ferdinand I” University)
At the end of World War I, following the unification of Transylvania with Romania and the creation of Greater Romania, King Ferdinand I stipulated by signing decree no. 4090 of September 12, 1919 „the transformation of Royal Hungarian Franz Joseph University in Romanian university beginning October 1, 1919”. The new academic institution was composed of four faculties: Law, Medicine, Sciences, Letters and Philosophy. The new academic community elected the teachers in charge during the first year: Sextil Puşcariu – rector , Nicholae Drăganu – vice-rector, Gheorghe Bogdan-Duică – Dean of Letters, Demetrius Călugăreanu – Dean of Sciences, and Pharmacy Iuliu Hațieganu – Dean of Medicine and Vasile Dimitriu- Dean of Law. In the first semester the Romanian university had 1,871 students, and in the second semester 2,182 students. The inaugural lecture, entitled suggestively The Duty of Our Life, was delivered on November 3, 1919 by the renowned archaeologist and historian Vasile Pârvan impressive to an audience of teachers, students, and other representatives of the Transylvanian Romanian elite.
Between January 31 to February 2, 1920 official opening celebrations were held at the Romanian University in Cluj in the presence of King Ferdinand I, Queen Mary, as well as numerous scientific and political personalities, both Romanian and foreign. King Ferdinand I donated 400,000 lei from his own fortune for the establishment of the Institute of National History.
In 1924 the law that officially recognizes the University in Cluj as a legal entity of public law is adopted and published in the Official Monitor.
The first decade of the Romanian academic life in Cluj was marked by the effort to build a performant educational and scientific community, with a view to the Transylvanian context. By 1932, the operating principles of the academic body and university authorities were slightly different from those implemented at the universities of Bucharest and Iași, Cluj enjoying greater autonomy and flexibility. From a scientific and educational perspective the 1919-1932 period is characterized by diversification of subjects studied, as well as creating a large number of institutes, laboratories, departments and seminars, which have contributed to the prestige of the new Romanian university. Now were created: the Institute of Speleology (managed by Emil Racoviţă), the Botanical Garden (director Alexandru Borza), the Astronomical Observatory, the Institute of National History (Directors: Alexander Lapedatu and Ioan Lupaș), Museum of the Romanian Language (coordinated by Sextil Puşcariu), the Institute of Experimental, Comparative and Applied Psychology (founded by Florian Ștefănescu-Goangă), the first Anti-Rabies Institute in Transylvania, the Seminary of Mathematics (headed by Petre Sergescu) and the Seminary of art history, the departments of journalism and social policy, etc.
Institute of Speleology
Museum of the Romanian Language
In October 1927 the University of Cluj will officially adopt as a homage the name of the first king of Great Romania, becoming known as the King Ferdinand I University, name that it will bear until 1948.
The 1932-1940 period stands out by the standardization of the administrative operation of universities across Romania, Cluj being thus organized like the Universities of Bucharest and Iași. On the other hand, now is the time the great psychologist Florian-Ștefănescu Goangă is rector, a period during which the university underwent significant development. During this interval several major academic infrastructure projects are completed: The Academic College (inaugurated in 1937) and the Sports Park (founded at the initiative of Iuliu Haţieganu) . At this time the Academy of Law of Oradea will be included in the Faculty of Law of the University of Cluj.
University of Cluj during the Second World War (1940-1944)
On August 30, 1940 the northern part of Transylvania, which included the city of Cluj, was conceded to the Hungarian state following the Vienna Arbitration dictate. The impact on the Romanian university was immediate. In September 1940 teachers and students were forced to leave Cluj, looking for a place of refuge in order to continue their teaching and research. After discussing several options, a decision was taken to divide the University of Cluj: The Faculties of Letters and Philosophy, Medicine, and Law moved to Sibiu, and the Faculty of Science was displaced in Timișoara. The first meeting of courses was held on November 10, 1940, both in Sibiu and Timişoara; the displaced university operated without interruption for the duration of the Second World War. As stated by Iuliu Haţieganu, rector during the 1941-1944 period, the mission of the university in the new socio-political and organizational conditions was to preserve and promote Romanian spirituality in Transylvania, the formation territory of the Romanian people.
While “King Ferdinand I” University took refuge in Sibiu and Timișoara, “Francis Joseph” University returned from Szeged and resumed its activity in Cluj with teaching in Hungarian language. This institution had five faculties: Faculty of Law and State Sciences (Law), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Faculty of Arts, Languages and Historical Sciences (Philology), Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Economics.
The 1945-1948 period – the years of the “painful transition” to communism
The academic life of Cluj was deeply influenced by the geopolitical context at the end of the Second World War. In the spring of 1945, after the reinstatement of Romanian administration over Transylvania, “King Ferdinand I” University returned to Cluj, after its previous displacement to Sibiu and Timișoara. The 1946-1947 years were marked by a massive purge of the teachers of the university, motivated by political and ideological reasons.
In parallel, by Royal Decree no. 407 of May 29, 1945 the “University with Hungarian teaching” was formally established in Cluj. The structure of this new institution included the Faculty of Law and Economics, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Faculty of Letters and History. For a brief period there was also a Faculty of Medicine, which later moved to Târgu Mureș. In December 1945, the Hungarian university in Cluj was called Bolyai University as a tribute to the two Transylvanian mathematicians, Farkas and János Bolyai, father and son.
The 1948-1959 period – parallel universities: Victor Babes University and Bolyai University
On December 30, 1947, the proclamation of the Romanian People’s Republic marked the final installation of communism in Romania. As a result, beginning May 1948 King Ferdinand I University of Cluj has officially changed its name in Victor Babeș University.
Following the education reform of August 1948, the structure of both Victor Babeș University and Bolyai University was profoundly altered. Thus, the Faculties of Medicine were completely and irrevocably detached from the composition of the universities and became independent institutions. Starting fall 1948 the departments of Dialectical and historical materialism, Foundations of Marxism-Leninism and Political economy were established. In the fall of 1957 part-time learning (evening) courses and distance learning were created per faculties and departments.
During this period, the following departments functioned with a four-year duration in the Victor Babeș University: Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Faculty of Chemistry, Faculty of Geology and Geography, Faculty of Pedagogy and Psychology, Faculty of Philology, Faculty of Philosophy and Faculty of History (which merged into one Faculty in 1954). There was also a Faculty of Legal and Administrative Studies with a three-year duration of studies, which for a short period (1951-1953), functioned jointly with the Faculty of Law of the Bolyai University.
In the same period, Bolyai University included the following faculties: Faculty of Economics, Law and Public Administration, with 18 departments; Faculty of Natural Sciences, with eight departments; Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, with 10 departments; Faculty of Chemistry, with five departments; Faculty of History, with seven departments; Faculty of Philosophy, with four departments; Faculty of Pedagogy and Psychology, with two departments.
Babes-Bolyai University (since 1959)
Following the decisions of the Romania state and party leadership during March-July 1959 a single state university will be created in Cluj by the unification of the Romanian and the Hungarian university.
The new institution, which began its activity in September 1959 was called Babeș-Bolyai University and comprised at the time of its creation six faculties: Faculty of Mathematics and Physics; Faculty of Chemistry; Faculty of Natural Sciences and Geography; Faculty of Philology; Faculty of Law; Faculty of History and Philosophy. The first rector of the Babeș-Bolyai University was professor Constantin Daicoviciu . Upon its foundation Babeș-Bolyai University summed up a total of 702 teaching positions, compared to 782 before unification. In the 1959-1960 academic year the number of students from Babeș-Bolyai was 4,502 of which 3,159 were Romanian, 1,285 Hungarian, 36 German and 22 other nationalities.
Central Building of the University
Haşdeu Dormitories Campus
Between 1959-1970 the University of Cluj underwent a long process of reorganization of faculties, departments, sections, curricula and programmes of the academic study. In 1961 the Faculty of Economics was established. Gradually, it came to an academic structure in which the university and the Pedagogical Institute which joined it included 16 faculties with 37 sections in full time learning, 11 sections in part-time learning and 20 sections in distance learning. During this period new investments were made in the infrastructure for students and teachers of Cluj: the Haşdeu dormitories campus and Students Cultural House were built.
In the 1970-1971 academic year was recorded the highest number of students enrolled: 14,438 people (6,742 in full time learning, 235 in part time learning and 7,461 in distance learning) and the largest number of teachers – 841 people (102 professors, 151 associate professors, 299 lecturers, 198 assistants and 91 interns). Decades eight and nine of the twentieth century represented a difficult period in the Cluj academic life. A gradual restriction of teaching and research activity occurred in line with an internal merging of specializations, disappearance of disciplines (e.g. Psychology), diminishing the scientific contacts with foreign universities, degradation of students and teachers status, etc.
In 1989 Babeș-Bolyai University had a total of 5,619 students and a teaching staff composed of 470 Romanian teachers, 81 Hungarian teachers, 6 German teachers, 10 teachers from other minorities. On December 22, 1989 the Declaration for a new University of Dacia superior was published; it stated the willingness to reorganize the University of Cluj on modern bases, similar to those of the interwar period, following the disappearance of the communist regime.
After 1990, within the new democratic context of Romania, Babeș-Bolyai University underwent a profound transformation. Since 1995 a decision was taken to organize a multicultural university; thus the three major lines of study were created on linguistic criteria: the Romanian line of study, Hungarian line of study, German line of study. Between 1991-2005 an extensive process of faculties diversification took place, either by their detachment from older structures, either by direct establishment. Thus, since the 2006-2007 academic year Babeș-Bolyai University has been operating in a system of 21 faculties. The teaching and research infrastructure has also underwent a substantial development in recent decades; in 1997 one of the largest recent investments was initiated: the building of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration campus (Photo Campus) (Photo Cube Psychology, etc.). Contacts and collaborations with prestigious academies and universities worldwide were resumed, strong networks of teaching and research were created and numerous scientific cooperation projects were conducted.
By 2015, of the 21 faculties of Babeș-Bolyai University, 17 faculties included activities in Hungarian, and 9 faculties in German. For the 41,690 students enrolled in our institution there were 337 study programmes, undergraduate and master’s degree in Romanian, 119 undergraduate and master’s programmes in Hungarian and 18 such programmes in German.
Babeș-Bolyai University was recently classified by the line Ministry as a “university of advanced research and education. The institution is situated on prestigious positions internationally; specialized rankings place Babeș-Bolyai University among the world’s academic elite in the field. On a domestic level the University has been ranked in the past years on leading place among the approximately one hundred universities according to the majority of such rankings.
Thus, in the Best Global Universities 2015 ranking Babeș-Bolyai University ranked 560th in the world and in the top released by the Times Higher Education for 2015-2016, Babeș-Bolyai University was the single university in Romania placed in the 501-600 category, at a similar level to other universities of tradition in Central and South-Eastern Europe such as Krakow, Warsaw, Budapest, Bratislava and Ljubljana. It was also in 2015 that Babeș-Bolyai University was nominated for the research excellence award offered for the first time by Scopus (Scopus Research Excellence Award).
According to Webometrics (Ranking Web of Universities) which includes 11,996 universities, Babeș-Bolyai University was ranked 938th place, which makes it the best ranked Romanian university. According to a general ranking for 2016, Babeș-Bolyai University ranked first in Romania.
According to the Report of National Universities Metaranking Exercise of 2016 Babeș-Bolyai University is ranked first in Romania.
P.O.Box 259 Dodoma,Tanzania
+255 26 2310000
Dodoma City is located in the centre of the country (6°10’23’’S; 35°44’31’’E), 455 km west of the former capital, Dar es Salaam; and 441 km south of Arusha City, the cradle of the East African Community. It is also 259 km north of Iringa Municipality through Mtera. The City covers an area of 2,669 km2 of which 625 km2 is urbanised.
Dodoma features a semi-arid climate with relatively warm temperatures throughout the year. Although average maximums are consistent throughout the year, average minimums drop to 13°C in July. The average annual precipitation is 570 mm, most of which occurs during the wet season between November and April, with the remainder of the year comprising dry season.
The recently refurbished Dodoma Airport and the Central Railway Line connecting it over a distance of 465 km with Dar es Salaam serve the city. There are also major highways connecting Dodoma with Dar es Salaam (via Morogoro Region) to the east, Mwanza City (via Singida) to the west, and Arusha (via Kondoa) to the north.
The University is located about 8 km east of the city centre, and is accessible by public transport, which is easily available from the city centre. Given the central location of Dodoma, UDOM is strategically positioned to serve applicants around the country and specifically Government and private sector employees living in Dodoma, who hitherto could not find training opportunities in the area. Such employees can comfortably utilise UDOM to combine work and study for their career advancement. Additionally, the geographical location and Dodoma weather render UDOM a convenient place for international students.
The goal is “To increase the contribution of higher education in Tanzania’s attainment of economic growth, reduction of poverty, and improved social wellbeing of Tanzanians through increased access to higher education, technological innovation, and generation and application of knowledge.”
The vision of the UDOM is “To become a centre of excellence that offers value added training, research and public services”.
The mission of the UDOM is “To provide comprehensive, gender sensitive and quality education to a broad segment of the population through teaching, research, and public services in the fields of education, health and allied sciences, natural sciences, earth sciences, information and communication technologies, business, humanities and social sciences”.
The University of Dodoma (UDOM) is located at Chimwaga area about 8 kilometers East of Dodoma town center. The University is within Dodoma District and covers an area of about 15,000 acres (6,000 hectares). The site has a very prominent view as it is situated on a hilly area.
The University of Dodoma was formally established in March 2007 following the signing of the Charter by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania. The first academic programmes commenced in September 2007. The University has been designed on a seven campus college mode each of which is semi-autonomous. In its structure, the seven colleges are:
College of Education
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Informatics and Virtual Education
College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
College of Health Sciences
College of Earth Sciences
College of Business Studies and Law
The broad objective of establishing UDOM is “To create in Tanzania a place where knowledge will be transferred from one generation to another; a place where through relevant teaching and learning processes, human capital vested with knowledge and skills for economic development of Tanzania will be produced; and a place where through relevant research, the frontiers of knowledge will be advanced and provide solutions to the people’s sufferings”.
P.O. Box 3000, Chuo Kikuu,
Sokoine University of Agriculture was first established on the 1st July, 1984 by Parliamentary Act No. 14 of 1984 through the amendment of Parliamentary Act No 6 of the same year. Following repealing of the Act, the university is now operating through the Sokoine University of Agriculture Charter, 2007 through the broad framework of the Universities Act, 2005.
The history of Sokoine University of Agriculture dates back to 1965 when it started as an Agricultural College offering diploma training in the discipline of agriculture.
After the dissolution of the University of East Africa and the consequent establishment of the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) in July 1970, the College was transformed into a Faculty of Agriculture of University of Dar Es Salaam (UDSM) and thereby started offering Bachelor of Science in Agriculture. .
In 1974, the Division of Forestry was established and hence the faculty was named Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry.
The introduction of Bachelor of Veterinary Science in 1976 and the establishment of the Division of Veterinary Science, the Faculty was re-named “Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Sciences”. .
The Faculty was on the 1st of July 1984 transformed, through Parliamentary Act No. 6 of 1984, into a full-fledged University and became known as Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA).
The university was named Sokoine University of Agriculture in honor of then Prime Minister of Tanzania Edward Moringe Sokoine who died on 1984.
Major Developments & Timeline
From 1965 up to the present day, The Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) has experienced major developments and transformation in various areas of its operation.
At its establishment in 1984, SUA was organized into Faculties, Directorates, Institutes, Centres and administrative Departments/Units. It started with three faculties namely the Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Forestry and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Later on the following faculties, Institutes and Directorates were established; Directorate of Research and Postgraduate Studies (1986), Institute of Continuing Education (1988), Development Studies Institute (1988), Sokoine National Agricultural Library (1991), Computer Centre (1993), Faculty of Science (1999), SUA Centre for Sustainable Rural Development (1999) and Pest Management Centre (2000).
For a period of 10 years since 2004, Moshi University College of Cooperatives and Business Studies were nurtured as a Constituent College of SUA until it was elevated into a fully-fledged Moshi Cooperative University (MoCU) in 2014.
Time and Major Developments at Sokoine University of Agriculture.
The start of Morogoro Agricultural College.
Offering diploma training in the discipline of Agriculture.
The College was transformed into a Faculty of Agriculture of University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM).
Started offering Bachelor of Science in Agriculture.
The Division of Forestry was established.
The faculty was named “Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry”. Of University of Dar es Salaam.
The introduction of Bachelor of Veterinary Science.
The establishment of the Division of Veterinary Science,
The Faculty was re-named “Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Sciences” of the University of Dar es Salaam.
The Faculty was transformed, through Parliamentary Act No. 6 of 1984, into a full-fledged University.
University became known as Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA)
It started with three faculties namely the Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Forestry and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Directorate of Research and Postgraduate Studies (DRPGS) was established.
Institute of Continuing Education (ICE) was established.
Development Studies Institute (DSI) was established.
Sokoine National Agricultural Library (SNAL) was established.
Computer Centre was established.
Faculty of Science (FoS) was established,
SUA Centre for Sustainable Rural Development was established.
Pest Management Centre (SPMC) was established.
Moshi University College of Cooperatives and Business Studies (MUCOBS) was nurtured as a Constituent College of SUA .
SUA was granted its Charter
MUCOBS was elevated into a fully-fledged Moshi Cooperative University (MoCU).
The University embarked on a restructuring process of its organizational and management structures.
Faculty of agriculture was split to form College of Agriculture and School of Agricultural Economics and Business Studies.
Development Studies Institute (DSI), SUA Centre for Sustainable Rural Development and Department of Social Sciences was merged to form College of Social Sciences and Humanities (CSSH).
Computer Centre was transformed into the Centre for Information and Communication Technology (CICT)
Directorate of Undergraduate Studies was established
Directorate of Development and Planning was established
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was transformed into College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
Faculty of Science was transformed into Solomon Mahlangu College of Sciences and Education.
Directorate of Research and Postgraduate Studies (DRPGS) was transformed into Directorate of Postgraduate Studies,Research,Technology Transfer and Consultancy.
Sokoine Universityof Agriculture lies on the slopes of the Uluguru Mountains, at an altitude of about 500 – 600 metres above sea level and receives an average annual rainfall of between 600 – 1000 mm.
The university has 3,350 hectares of land for training, research and production in Morogoro municipality; 840 hectares of forest land in Arusha; 320 hectares of virgin forest for research in Usambara Mountains in Tanga and 500 hectares of miombo woodlands in Kitulanghalo in Morogoro region.
The university has Four campuses namely, The Main Campus which has a total land area of 3,350 ha is situated 3.0 km from the centre of Morogoro Municipality and about 200 km west of Dar es Salaam.
Other campuses include Solomon Mahlangu Campus (SMC) located in Morogoro Municipality; SUA Training Forest (SUATF) located in Olmotonyi, Arusha region, and Mazumbai Forestry Reserve located in Lushoto, Tanga region.
In addition the University owns Towelo Morning Side (6.0 ha) which is located at an altitude of about 1,300 metres above sea level on the Uluguru Mountains, on the outskirts of Morogoro Municipality,
Also university has Student field practical sites in Mbinga, Ruvuma region, Mgeta, Morning site and Kitulangalo forest in Morogoro region.
Other information, Follow..
• Solomon Mahlangu Campus (SMC)
• SUA Training Forest – Olmotonyi, Arusha
• Mazumbai Forest Reserve
Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) was established by Parliamentary Act No 6 on 1st July 1984. In 2005, the Universities Act No 7 repealed Act No 6 and paved way to the establishment of University Charters.
Since 2007, SUA has been operating under its Charter and Rules, 2007 which was signed by the then President of the United Republic of Tanzania H.E. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete on 28/03/2007.
Sokoine University of Agriculture Charter – 2007 (PDF)
Legally, SUA is fully accredited by the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU). Through accreditation TCU provides quality assurance services, coordination and rationalization of training programmes, and promotes cooperation among universities in the country.
Besides this legal framework, the University is also guided by a number of education and training policies that provide a coherent philosophy for the development and management of education in Tanzania.
P.O Box 1 Mzumbe,
Mzumbe University was established by the Mzumbe University Charter, 2007 under Section 25 of the Universities Act. No. 7 of 2005 which repealed Mzumbe University Act. No 9 of 2001. As a Training Institute, the University boasts of over 50 years experience of training in the administration of justice, business management, public administration, accountancy, finance, political science and good governance.
Mzumbe University origin can be traced back to 1953 when the British Colonial Administration established a Local Government School in the country. The school was aimed at training local Chiefs, Native Authority Staff and Councilors. The level of training was elevated after Tanzania (Tanganyika) independence to include training of Central Government Officials, Rural Development Officers and local Court Magistrates. In 1972, the then Local Government School was merged with the Institute of Public Administration of the University of Dar es Salaam to form the Institute of Development Management (IDM-Mzumbe). IDM was a higher learning institution for training professional managers in the public and private sectors.
Given the natural growth of the Institute over the years of successful operation and the changing national and international human resource needs, the Government transformed it into fully fledge public University. This was made under the Act of Parliament No.21 of 2001. In December 2006, the Mzumbe University Act No 21 of 2001 was repealed by the Universities Act of Tanzania No. 7 of 2005 and replaced by the Mzumbe University charter, 2007 which now guide the operations and management of the University. The mandate of the University as stipulated in the Mzumbe University Charter, 2007 focuses on training, research, publications and public service cum consultancy.
Dar Es Salaam
The Ardhi University (ARU) was established after transforming the former University College of Lands and Architectural Studies (UCLAS) which was then a constituent college of the University of Dar es Salaam from 1st July 1996. The history of Ardhi University, however, dates back to 1956 when the then Surveying Training School offering land surveying technician certificate courses was established at the present location of Mgulani Salvation Army Camp in Dar es Salaam. Then, that school was moved to the present location at which it is today (the Observation Hill) in 1958. In 1972, the school became called Ardhi Institute. The Institute offered two-year diploma programmes in the fields of Land Surveying and Land Management and Valuation. In the same year a three-year Diploma program in Urban and Rural Planning was introduced.
By the Act of the Parliament No. 35 of 1974, Ardhi Institute was made a parastatal organisation and consequently the duration of two-years was extended to three years. Later in 1975, all the three-year diploma programes were upgraded to Advanced Diploma level. The Building Design and Building Economics courses started in 1976 and 1978 respectively. In the 1979, the Centre for Housing Studies was established as a joint project between the Government of Tanzania and the Netherlands. The centre has now grown into the Institute of Human Settlement Studies (IHSS). In early 1980s, the Public Health Engineering (later named Environmental Engineering) course was introduced.
As pointed out earlier, in 1996 the Ardhi Institute was affiliated to the University of Dar es Salaam and became a constituent college of the University. It then became known as the University College of Lands and Architectural Studies (UCLAS). Two legal instruments, namely, Government Notice (GN) Number 148 of June 29th, 1996 and University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) Act No.12 of 1970 provided the basis for the establishment of UCLAS.
Within ten (10) years of its existence (i.e. 1996-2006) UCLAS increased the number of academic programmes from six (6) to thirty nine (39). The programmes ranging from diploma to PhD were offered by two faculties, that is, the Faculty of Architecture and Planning (FAP) and the Faculty of Lands and Environmental Engineering (FLEE). As a result of those changes, student enrolment increased from only 400 in 1996 to about 1,400 in 2007. At the same time the number of academic staff with PhD increased from 3 in 1996 to 43 in 2008.
At last, Ardhi University came into being after the signing of Ardhi University Charter by His Excellency the President of United Republic of Tanzania, Hon. Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete on 28th March, 2007. The University Charter was prepared basing on the Universities Act No. 7 of 2005. The establishment of ARU went concurrently with the establishment of various schools.