Sophia College Mumbai
Sophia College, founded in 1940, is affiliated to the University of Mumbai. The Governing Body of the Society for the Higher Education of Women in India runs the College. The Religious Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and lay staff form the staff of the College.
The Society of the Sacred Heart was founded in France in 1800, by St. Madeleine Sophie Barat. It is dedicated mainly to the all-round education of youth. There are now a number of schools and colleges of the Society all over the world, besides widespread innovative non-formal involvements. According to a long-standing tradition, the staff takes a personal interest in the harmonious growth of each student entrusted to their care.
Sophia College is a Christian Minority Institution. Students of all denominations are welcome. The main goal of Sophia is the relentless search for Wisdom, through an education that is holistic and transformative.
A Brief History of Our College
During its 60 odd years Sophia has been committed to responding to the changing needs of women in our society:
During the 1940s, the period of the Freedom Struggle and the early years of Independence, the College focussed on Home Science as well as on the Arts and the Humanities. Stress was also laid on inculcating pride in our national identity. (Urdhva Mula).
In the 1950s, as post-independent India was making her entry into the technological world, education in Science was first introduced (initially up to the Inter Science level and from 1967 up to the B.Sc. level, later extended to the M.Sc. level in three subjects).
In the 1960s a thrust was given to the social dimension of education.
During the 1970s importance was given to vocational education.
In the 1980s research was given a boost.
Excellence and ‘Quality Assurance’ were the in-words in the 1990s.
In the first decade of the 21st Century our focus is on transformative education through networking and collaboration as well as through outreach work and extension of educational services to the community with special emphasis on the needs of women.
Down the corridors of time
A brief history of the Sophia College property
The campus and land in the vicinity belonged to the erstwhile East India Company. A part of the vast property was given to the Parsi family of Ashburner in the early 19th Century
The main building was named SOMERSET HOUSE after Sir Henry Somerset one of the Commanders-in-chief of the Bombay Presidency.
1882 – The property was acquired by the Honorable Badruddin Tyabi. He built Somerset Annexe the nucleus of the present science building.
1917 – Mr. Hormusji Nosherwanjee Vakeel bought the property and added the east-west wing.
1923 – The house was occupied by the Maharaja of Indore.
1937 – The Maharaja of Bhavnagar bought the house.
1940 – The Society of the Sacred Heart bought the Somerset House, Somerset Annexe, some out-houses and the grounds.
1800 –The Society of the Sacred Heart is founded by Madeleine Sophie Barat.
1939 – His Grace Archbishop Roberts S. J. of Bombay invites the Sacred Heart nuns to start a women’s college in Bombay.
1940 – The Home and Social Culture centre is formally declared open by His Grace Archbishop Roberts and the name SOPHIA COLLEGE is adopted; Mother Andersson is the first principal.
1941 – The ARTS FACULTY is started. The University of Bombay grants temporary affiliation to the college for First year and Intermediate classes.
1942 – Extension of affiliation is granted for Bachelor of Arts classes.
1945 – Sophia motto, crest and colours adopted.
1950 – The University of Bombay grants permanent affiliation to the college.
1952 – THE SCIENCE FACULTY is started with classes upto the Intermediate Science level.
1966 – THE SILVER JUBILEE YEAR : The Intermediate Science course is extended upto the Bachelor of Science degree
1975 – Junior college is introduced.
1978 – The Post graduate Diploma Course in Clinical Analysis is started.
1990-91 – THE GOLDEN JUBILEE YEAR
1993 – The Post graduate Diploma course in Quality Assurance in the Food and Pharmaceutical Industries is introduced.
2001 – The Sophia Centre for Women’s Studies and Development is inaugurated.
2003 – The Bachelor of MASS MEDIA Course is introduced.
2011 – Certificate Course in Bioinformatics is introduced
2011 – PhD Programme in Applied Biology is introduced
2013 – Bachelor of Science – Information Technology is introduced
The Sophia College property possesses a long and interesting history. The campus area and the land in the vicinity belonged to the East India Company, and was later parcelled out into acres and sold. The bungalow which is now the main building was named Somerset House after Sir Henry Somerset, one of the Commanders-in Chief of the forces of the Bombay Presidency.
In 1882, the property was acquired by the Honorable Badruddin Tyabji . The property changed several hands before it was acquired by the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1940, the Maharaja of Bhavanagar being the last occupant.
Through the years that followed several additions have been made.
1941 – The shed was constructed.
1956 – Canteen.
1957 – A multi-purpose hall; replaced in 1977 by Sophia Bhabha Hall.
1964 – Library and rooms 9 -12.
1966-67 – The Science Building.
1970 – ThePolytechnic.
1975 – The Library Extension, inclusive of the A.V. Room, staff room, canteen extension and staff canteen.
2001 – The Sophia Andersson Annexe
Send Message to listing owner
Sophia College Mumbai