The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA)
The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) is a quasi independent Government body responsible for regulating the Communications and Broadcasting sectors in Tanzania. It was established under the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Act No.12 of 2003 to regulate the electronic communications, and Postal services, and management of the national frequency spectrum in the United Republic of Tanzania. The Authority became operational on 1st November 2003 and effectively took over the functions of the now defunct Tanzania Communications Commission (TTC) and Tanzania Broadcasting Commission (TBC) respectively.
TCRA Vision, Mission, Strategic Goal and Strategic Objectives
"To be a world-class Communications Regulator creating a level playing field among Communication Service Providers, and promoting environmentally friendly, accessible and affordable services to consumers."
"To develop an effective and efficient communications regulatory framework, promote efficiency among the Communications Services Providers, and protect consumer interests with an objective of contributing to socio-economic and technological development in the United Republic of Tanzania."
To enhance the welfare of Tanzanians through effective and efficient regulatory framework that ensures universal access to communications.
- To enhance TCRA capacity, Staff competences in regulation, research and related fields;
- To promote efficient, reliable and affordable communications infrastructure and applications;
- To promote efficient communication services and increase access to ICTs in underserved and un-served areas;
- To protect interests of consumers and enhance awareness of their rights and obligations;
- To monitor performance of regulated services and enforce compliance to legislations, regulations and standards; and
- To coordinate implementation of regional and international sector commitments.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM:TCRA is ISO 9001: 2008 Certified
QUALITY POLICY Policy
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA) is committed to enhancing the welfare of Tanzanians through provision of effective and efficient regulatory services that ensures Universal Access to Communication Services, through Quality Management System in all processes needed in our areas of jurisdiction. TCRA continuously improves and reviews her Quality objectives regularly and communicates the policy within the organization.
- To maintain an effective Quality Management System complying with International Standard ISO 9001:2008;
- To achieve and maintain a level of quality which enhances the TCRA reputation with stakeholders;
- To ensure compliance with relevant statutory and regulatory requirements;
- To endeavour, at all times to maximize stakeholder satisfaction with our services.
The quality objectives are measurable and reviewed against performance goals at each Management review meeting.
The Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the Authority’s Governing Body. It is composed of seven members, namely a Chairman and Vice-Chairman, four members and the Director-General.
The Chairman and Vice Chairman are appointed by the President of the United Republic of Tanzania after a competitive selection procedure as per Section 7 of the TCRA Act while the four members and Director General are appointed by the Minister responsible for Communications in consultation with the Minister responsible for Broadcasting,after a competitive selection procedure as per Section 7 of the TCRA Act.
The Director General
The Director General is the Authority’s Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Authority. The Director General is a member of the Board and is appointed by the Minister responsible for communications,after a competitive selection procedure as per Section 13 of the TCRA Act.
Directorates and Units
There are five Directorates and five Units in the Office of the Director General. The Directorates are Consumer and Industry Affairs, Corporate Resources Management, Legal Services, Broadcasting and Postal Affairs. The Units are Zone Coordination, Systems Management, Corporate Communications, Procurement and Research and Planning.
TCRA has a set of core values as outlined below;
Professionalism: We maintain the highest degree of professionalism and ethical standards, building value-added relationships with customers and stakeholders to deliver quality services.
Respect:We are an organisation that values its employees and respects its customers.
Empowerment:We believe in empowerment and effective delegation enabling employees to make decisions and take challenges commensurate with their own levels of responsibility.
Innovation: We encourage creativity and innovation leading to enhancement of our capacity in handling regulatory issues.
Integrity: We believe in integrity and we are determined to treat customers and each other with trust, confidentiality and honesty.
Accountability:We are accountable, undertaking our duties fairly, with care and transparency.
Teamwork:We benefit from teamwork, putting together diverse expertise to achieve success.
Objectivity:We undertake our activities objectively and we are result oriented
Efficiency:We believe in providing our regulatory services in an efficient way.
Nondiscrimination: We believe in equal opportunity and treatment for our internal and external Stakeholders and do not discriminate against Gender, Religion, race, affiliation and origin.
TCRA has the following functions;
- To issue, renew and cancel licenses;
- To establish standards for regulated goods and services;
- To establish standards for the terms and conditions of supply of the regulated goods and services;
- To regulate rates and charges;
- To monitor the performance of the regulated sectors in relation to:-
- Levels of investment;
- Availability, quality and standards of service;
- The cost of services;
- The efficiency of production and distribution of services
- To facilitate the resolutions of complaints and disputes between operator vs operator and consumer vs operator;
- To disseminate information about matters relevant to the functions of the Authority.
In carrying out its functions, the Authority strives to enhance the welfare of the Tanzanian society by:-
- Promoting effective competition and economic efficiency;
- Protecting the interests of consumers;
- Protecting financial viability of efficient suppliers;
- Promoting the availability of regulated services to all consumers including low income, rural and disadvantaged consumers;
- Enhancing public knowledge, awareness and understanding of the regulated sectors including:-
- The rights and obligations of consumers;
- The way in which complaints may be initiated and resolved;
- The duties, functions and activities of the Authority
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
With our success comes the responsibility of giving back to our society in a meaningful and sustainable fashion. TCRA support efforts of corporate social investment that aims to improve lives of Tanzanians through poverty alleviation and promoting economic development. The focus is on three areas, Education, Health and Economic empowerment. These are in line with National Development Priorities.